By Rich Winter
I was shocked at how many good players were available on the week 6 waiver wire. I'm still giddy about being able to trade for Ronnie Hillman, who has turned out to be the best running back on my roster.
Pay attention tonight because week eight might be even better. There are some players out on the waiver wire that are starting to get hot and make plays. Snag the right one and you might have a full-time starter heading down the stretch.
Running backs: It's just bothersome how the running back position has been raveged by injury this year. As players get injured, new players step forward and there is always the chance one of them could bust your fantasy season wide open.
1. Tre Mason - Mason is No. 1 on my waiver wire order tonight. I saw that 15-85 with 1 touchdown performance against the Seahawks. I don't care that the Rams backfield is crowded, I see Mason being the man the rest of the way. He had 15 touches last week, I'll be shocked if he doesn't get 20 this week.
2. Denard Robinson - Jacksonville - Where did that 22 carries for 127 yards with 1 touchdown performance come from? I don't know but I want me some of that. I'm guessing Jacksonville will be looking to build on that performance and that could translate nicely into a low end No. 2 RB for you the rest of the way.
3. Bryce Brown - Let's not forget that Bryce Brown had 564 yards and four touchdowns in 2012 while with the Eagles. He hasn't done much for the Bills this season but with CJ Spiller out and Fred Jackson out for a while, someone has to carry the rock. Brown is an accomplished receiver and after thinking about this overnight, I think Brown gets the nod in the waiver-wire order over Anthony Dixon.
4. Chris Johnson - New York Jets - I saw some signs of life from Chris Johnson in that loss to New England last week. Johnson carried the ball 13 times for 61 yards and caught two balls for 19 yards. That's seven points, nearly eight in my fantasy circles. I think the addition of Percy Harvin and his ability to stretch the field might finally put some sparks in this New York Jets running game.
5. Anthony Dixon - Buffalo - After looking at Dixon vs. Bryce Brown for Buffalo, I decided to say Brown is the No. 1 FF RB here. Still, if you're extremely handcuffed at the RB position this week, don't hesitate to give this guy a look.
Wide receivers are a dime a dozen right?
Well maybe, but I see three guys out there that are starting to heat up.
1. Dwayne Bowe - If I'm reading this correctly, Dwayne Bowe has had over 80 receiving yards in two of his last three games. Last week against the Chargers he hauled in 5-84. Listen, this guy hasn't found the end zone yet but he will. Despite having a terrible start, he's coming on now and the Chiefs know he's their best weapon in the passing game. Do what you can to get this guy, he'll be a great No. 3 heading down the stretch.
2. Devante Adams - Green Bay - Yes he had just one catch for 21 yards last week but it was for a touchdown. Hmmm, that's eight points in my book. Adams had 8-77 the week before against Green Bay and has touchdowns in two of his last three games. Nelson and Cobb are the clear No. 1 and No. 1A in Green Bay but as bad as the Green Bay running game is, I see Adams getting some touches down the stretch. Maybe not a starter, but some nice depth to have on your roster.
3. Doug Baldwin - Seattle - Pretty surprised this guy is still on the FF waiver wire's after the news that Harvin was traded last week. Our league doesn't sleep on RB's, but sometimes they do on WR's. They won't be sleeping tonight as Baldwin had 11-123 and 1 td last week. As bad as the story has sounded in Seattle, I'm pretty sure the Seahawks are going to play with a chip on their shoulder and that means they will get the ball to Baldwin on a consistent basis. Must Add WR this week.
Maybe one of the best things you can do if your team is fairly set is to troll that waiver wire tomorrow morning and see exactly what your fellow competitors kicked to the curb. It's worth a look as teams facing the bye week might drop just the player you need.
Follow me @panicgalore and may all your Wednesday morning waiver wire dreams come true.